«Liberté! Sauvons la liberté! La liberté sauvera le reste!» Victor Hugo.

25/08/2007

My escape from slavery, Frederick Douglass.

This was a critical moment in the drama. My whole future depended upon the decision of this conductor. Agitated though I was while this ceremony was proceeding, still, externally, at least, I was apparently calm and self-possessed. He went on with his duty - examining several colored passengers before reaching me. He was somewhat harsh in tone and peremptory in manner until he reached me, when, strange enough, and to my surprise and relief, his whole manner changed. Seeing that I did not readily produce my free papers, as the other colored persons in the car had done, he said to me, in friendly contrast with his bearing toward the others:

I suppose you have your free papers?
To which I answered:
No sir; I never carry my free papers to sea with me”.
But you have something to show that you are a freeman, haven’t you?
Yes, sir,” I answered; “I have a paper with the American Eagle on it, and that will carry me around the world.

» Retirado daqui: Collected articles of Frederick Douglass, a slave.

arquivo